The Bag of Responsibility
![]() |
| Behold!! The awesome bag of responsibility!! |
It never seems to fail. Without any doubt; your child will someday leave their bag at home. Then comes the tears and the begging; "Mom, I neeeeeed my bag. Go get it for me!!" (if you are lucky you will here a please in there.
So then what do you do? Do you go get it?
Up until recently I did go get it. However, then I read the book "No More Perfect Mom" and had parent-teacher conferences about responsibility. That was when I decided not to go get the bag. After all, she had to learn there was consequences, right? It was a difficult decision and in the end I brought bag to school before the end of the day.
I think I am really learning to let the kids learn on their own, and let go of some of the pressure to be perfect. The only way kids know how to fall is if they learn to get up on their own.

I think it is good to have them know that mom is there for them, but that she will not always be. Bringing the bag to school in the beginning was good. It helped show them that someone is there to help when they need it, but by not eventually doing it you showed them that they will sometimes have to do it on their own. Of course you dont want their school work to suffer but bringing it back at a slower pace, not right away like it is the end of the world, is okay too. Good job on keeping strong, mommas!
ReplyDelete