Parents and Teachers
I am always afraid of being judged. I am afraid the teacher will have one look at me and realize I don't have anything under control. I am afraid he or she will feel as if they need to rescue my children from my lack of parental know-how. A lot of thoughts go through my head right before I get called into the room:
Did Lizzy get that slip turned in?
Did I remember to sign the slip?
What was the slip about again?
What if they tell me that slip was the end all, and now my precious children will have to be schooled in Mexico where a true parent can take over?
But this year I was very surprised. Not only did my children do much better this year than last, but the school system has a new policy that takes a lot of pressure off of moms who are trying to do it all. The school is teaching the kids they are responsible for themselves. It has now become their job to do their homework. It is their job to turn it in, and come to school with all of their stuff. My job is to sign the slip, but they are responsible for bringing it back. I felt like a big rock was lifted off my shoulder.
Who takes the responsibility at your house? Do you worry about the parent-teacher conference?
Well, I don't have to worry about Parent-Teacher conferences yet, but I think I might feel the same way. You are wondering how your little one is doing, thinking "I am trying my best to help, I think I am doing a good job" but wondering if your little one goes to school and makes the teacher think "what the hell is going on at home for this child".
ReplyDeleteI like to think, in all honesty, that I take the responsibility at my house. Not that D isn't responsible, but he works and bring home the money to pay bills while I am the one who pays the bills, feed and clothes abbi, does the inside work and the outside work. I feel a bit under appriciated for it sometimes but I know what I do and how hard I do it and when Abbi goes to school it will be my responsibility to get her there, pick her up, if she needs help with homework or someone to bake cookies for an event or be a chaperone on a field trip, that will be me.